Monday, 18 October 2021

New Zealand-Pakistan series abandoned after security reasons

New Zealand-Pakistan series abandoned after security reasons

New Zealand's white-ball tour of Pakistan was called off minutes before play in the opening one-dayer in Rawalpindi after New Zealand Cricket received intelligence from their government about a security threat.

A board release from New Zealand stated

"Following an escalation in New Zealand Government threat measure for Pakistan, and advice from security advisors of NZC on the ground, it has been decided the NewZealand team will not continue with tour. Arrangement are now being made for the departure of team's ,".

New Zealand was scheduled to play three ODIs in Rawalpindi starting Friday (September 17) before shifting to Lahore for a five-match T20I series. Still, the entire tour now stands unilaterally postponed following the visitors' expression of concern.

For their part, the Pakistan Cricket Board said foolproof security arrangements had been in place for New Zealand, just like other visiting teams,

New Zealand Pakistan series abandoned after security reasons 1getty image

Read More : Kohli to quit as T20 Captain after T20 World Cup

Imran Khan, the prime minister of Pakistan, even spoke to his counterpart, Jacinda Ardern, in New Zealand, assuring her of the same.

PCB statement read.

"The security officials with New Zealand team have been satisfied with security arrangements made by the Pakistan Government throughout their stay here,"

"PCB is willing to continue the matches as per scheduled . However, cricket lovers around the world and in Pakistan will be disappointed by this last minute withdrawal."

David White, NZC chief executive, said

It was simply impossible to continue with the tour after we received advice.

"I understand this will be a big blow for PCB, who have been wonderful hosts, but player safety is key and we believe this is the only responsible option."

New Zealand Cricket Players of Association chief executive Heath Mills echoed Mr. White's sentiments. "We've been across this process throughout and are fully supportive of the decision," he said.

"The New Zealand players are in good hands; they're safe and everyone's acting in the best interests."

Follow Us

Popular Post